Sunday 20 September 2015

An interview with Justin Audibert- The Jew of Malta at the RSC

An interview with Justin Audibert

After being delighted and intrigued by Justin Audibert’s production of Marlowe’s The Jew if Malta (see my blog review of the production here http://amyeholley.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/review-of-rscs-jew-of-malta-this-is.html), I emailed the director Justin Audibert to ask some questions about his approach to this now problematic, even contentious show.

Here’s my emailed interview! And a big thanks to Justin Audibert again!

In terms of The Jew, what was your overarching directorial approach?

I wanted to keep the show as pacy as possible so that as events escalate the audience almost feel overwhelmed with the Marlovian mayhem.

And, in terms of your interpretation of Barabas' motivations what message(s) did you and Jasper Britton want to convey? 

It was very important to us that we make it clear that Barabas is wronged in the first place. I don't think either of us would argue that Barabas is a 'good' man but at the same time he is a highly capable survivor who is living in a fundamentally prejudiced and hypocritical society. Jasper is probably one of the most charming actors working today and it was delightful watching him make the audience complicit in all of Barabas' deeds.

I loved the companionship between Ithamore and Barabas and felt that it came over as a very close relationship, way above the kind of relationship that I've seen in other productions (their approach to Ithamore was that he was just doing what he was told whilst he waited for the perfect opportunity to escape his slavery and overthrow his master). The role of master and slave in your production seems minimal and instead there's a real emphasis on their similar social positions as marginalised, hated characters acting as an equalising bridge to open up a space for friendship. I was wondering if that was intentional, as I LOVED it! It felt very fresh. 

Yes it was intentional. We felt that Barabas sees in Ithamore a fellow victim of oppression. And he rescues him from a further beating from the guards, which also gives Ithamore further cause to hate the Christians. It also felt right that they should both delight in their villainy - there revenge is a dish best served boiling hot!

I was also wondering about your career in general, do you have a favourite playwright or a period from which to direct? 

Elizabethan and Jacobean work has such richness of language and imagery and such high stakes (heaven, hell, power, sex, etc) that it is difficult to top- plus I love the way comedy and tragedy sit side by side which is basically what I think happens in life.


Do you think that you have a directorial style? If so, what would you say it was?

I don't think I have a style really. I try and suit my thinking about the play to the specific needs of the text.

Is there a play you would love to direct given the opportunity? 

T'is Pity She's a Whore would be fun... So would The Changeling... and I hope when I am much older to get a crack at Lear...

And finally, I was wondering about your career path, how did you get into directing? I can see you're freelance and that you're also an Artistic Associate for a couple of companies and an Education Associate Practitioner for the RSC too! Did you study it at uni or did you find your own path? 

I studied History and Politics at Sheffield Uni but spent all of my time in the theatre there putting shows on with suTCO (Sheffield University Theatre Company). I then was a teacher for a couple of years and then I did the MFA in Theatre Directing at Birkbeck which was a brilliant course and really has stood me in good stead. I enjoy being a freelancer immensely and working with Young People and Community Groups is as fulfilling for me as working with professional actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment